Saturday, August 07, 2021

Great Bake-off, puddings

 Signature pudding

Now... I'm not British, so this whole thing with baked and steamed puddings is all foreign to me, so I can't properly estimate what kind of pudding would work for me...

I have to say that this bread pudding looks fascinating. I bet it's delicious with some custard.
I think I could make it mine by making it a hummingbird cake pudding.
Or maybe Danish æblekage.
Or maybe Runeberg's tarts. Yes! Make the bread in bread pudding all kinds of cookies, cakes, and bread crumbs. I could crumb them and mix them with the custard, and then add the raspberry jam and icing in stripes over the top. I like the sound of that!

Technical challenge: Mary Berry's lemon soufflé

I'm really good at soufflés. 

Show stopper: Three puddings: Crumble, bread pudding and suet pudding

My bread pudding would be pecan and maple syrup. A little American twist to it ;-)

pineapple coconut crumble with coconut custard

Then I would have a coup... Memma pudding. One can substitute butter with suet in a recipe. 

So

300 grams / 11 ounces of memma
100 grams / 4 oz of suet
1 dl / 3 oz sugar
3 eggs
3 dl / 1 1/3 cups of flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
100 g / 4 oz dark chocolate chopped

Mix all the ingredients. Pour into a greased pudding bowl. Cover with pleated greaseproof paper and foil and secure with string. Steam for 1 1/2-2 hours.

Memma or mämmi is a Finnish traditional malted rye pudding that is eaten during the Easter. So it would be sort of malted chocolate pudding :-D

Serve with chocolate sauce.



No comments: