Sunday, September 05, 2021

The Great bake-off 4, Alternative Ingredients

Signature loaf made with using unusual flour.

I bake my Danish all rye bread once a month. :-D It takes several days... A couple of years ago I wrote a blog entry about the different cereals, and I find it fascinating. Spelt is pretty obvious, it behaves almost like wheat. Then one can add flavor with oats. I could make my oat bread from season 1, and just replace the wheat with spelt. It wouldn't be much different.


Technical challenge: Hazelnut Dacquoise

Showstopper: Dairy-Free Novelty Cake with Vegetables

Think beyond the obvious... so no carrot or gourgette :-D
Beetroot chocolate? 
No, I want to make my carrot cake, with almonds. It's not your ordinary carrot cake. 

7 eggs, separated
300 g sugar
50 g flour
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tl baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
300 g grated carrots
1 tsp lemon juice
300 g ground almonds

Cream the yolks and 3/4 of the sugar (225 g)
mix the dry ingredients and add to the yolk mix with carrots and lemonjuice.
Whip the egg whites with the rest of the sugar into a hard foam.
Fold into batter with the almonds.

Bake in 200C for about 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 180 and bake about 40 minutes more, until the cake is done.
Let sit for a short while and turn the cake out on a cooling rack. When cool, cut into three layers and fill.

 I usually make a banana cream cheese filling for this cake, and cream cheese frosting, but this is a dairy free week.
I think I'll use this Swiss carrot cake as guide and use sugar glaze. 
And then use marzipan to decorate it.

Vegetable garden is the obvious idea.
 

But it's so obvious several of the competitors made it, so, no :-D Maybe a fox, then. 





No comments: