Thursday, September 02, 2021

The Great bake-off 4, sweet dough

Signature: tea loaf

I didn't have the slightest idea what a tea loaf is. Apparently it's fruit packed brioche. 

I don't like fruit packed bread. 

So... what is my favorite dried fruit? I like apples, actually. I like the color of apricots, even though I don't like the flavor of them. And I read that almonds and Chinese five spice go well with apples, so let's do that :-D Although... I have read somewhere that some spices stop the dough from developing well, so maybe take cardamom in stead. Finnish traditions, and all that :-D And cranberries. More color. 

I also found a Paul Hollywood recipe while researching, and it has apricots and marzipan. Yum. I LOVE marzipan. 


Technical: Apricot Couronne

Showstopper: 24 Sweet European Buns

"European buns, you have 40 minutes to start your bake tonight, four hours tomorrow"
What? 
"You chill the dough for 12 hours"
Oh, dear. I never knew I have done it all wrong for 40 years! No-one ever told me, everyone I know does it the same way I do! 
And looking up bun recipes all over the Europe; classic brioche in France, Schnecken in Germany, the Scandinavian buns in Finland, Sweden, Norway... all done within 4 hours. 
I do prove my Challah for at least 12 hours, and it's a brioche dough, but this? WTF?
Uh.

Anyway. I like Karlsbaders and I would like to try Dallas buns

This is how you swirl the Karlsbaders. It's pretty simple, but looks complicated.





No comments: